The administrative department of Zielona Góra was established in 1950. A small town got promoted to the rank of the department capital. That entailed the need to provide accommodation for a large band of officials. However, the overpopulated town lacked spare flats and the authorities did not have the resources to build new houses - nor even to restore or convert the old ones. ; So the communist authorities decided to move out by force some of the towndwellers and thus obtain accommodation for the it functionaries. A few hundred families were forced to leave Zielona Góra and their flats were divided up among high-rank members of the Polish United Workers' Party, local Security Office's functionaries, and state administration workers. ; It was total lawlessness, of which the local communist authorities were fully aware. The central authorities in Warsaw were informed of this - but did not object: meeting the needs of the apparatchiks was more important than the law. "Ordinary" inhabitants' needs were completely ignored.